Here are some preview details of the OS, since the finalised version (and its specs) would only be released after 31 March 2010:
* Multiple homescreens (3) – YAY. One main, one work, one play.
* 6 widget spaces (18 TOTAL)
* Seems to have some nice transitions (hope we actually do see it in a handset unlike the N97 video)
* 3D accelerated Coverflow with NokiaPhotoViewer/Iris style graphics
* Fast flip scrolling (hopefully smooth too with no juttering ANYWHERE)
* Single tap everywhere in UI (death to unecessary double tapping!)
* MULTITOUCH PINCH AND ZOOM! Ah, will shut up a lot of people who ignore a phone simply because it has no pinch and zoom. Hope we see it in browser.
* VISUAL MULTITASKING! Actual real live windows not icons! At the moment resembles Palm’s cards rather than Maemo’s multitasking windows, i.e. linear large windows as opposed to grid view (prefer the latter), and many more.
Nokia may be almost 3 years late in achieving this (you all know of whom I’m comparing to), but then again, better late then never
Watch the preview video below to see more:
And head over to Symbian ^3‘s Wiki site to read more.
Filed under Tech
These are legal stuffs, so I won’t end up deleting them!
Seriously, the font change makes a world of difference! It’s apparently “Verdana” which looks much more appealing than the standard and outgoing “Nokia Sans”.
Now for the details (with Symbian ^5 and ^6 details too!):
Note that the screenshots are orginally in 640 X 360 (resized here), which means the resolution of Symbian OS might not be changing for the next 2 years.
* Symbian^4 isn’t the limit, there’s Symbian^5 and Symbian^6 too!
* Symbian^4 will be ready for multicore support sometime in 2010
* Symbian^3 has kernel support for multicore
* Multicore will achieve better performance with better battery life!
- Symbian is designed for low power consumption from the ground up and now leading the wave in low power efficiency.
* Symbian^3 is running on dual Cortex A9
- A9 will allow recording of up to 1080p
- High end 3D graphics accelerator to bring PC-like web browsing [If anything like Maemo 5, I'm stoked!]
* Symbian^3 devices (N8/N98/N87?) available from 2010 [H2, i.e. July onwards]
* Dual Core devices will be shipping in 2011
* Symbian^4 devices will be available from 2011 [H1]
* Symbian^5 devices will be available from 2011 [H2]
* Symbian^6 devices will be available from 2012 [H1]
* Incremental evolution, but big step forward in User Experience
- – Minimising unecessary taps! [that's really frustrating in Symbian^1]
- – Enhanced look/feel in transitions/transparency/fades
- – Multitouch support with gestures swipes and pinches
* HDMI output
* HD streaming
* Multiple Homescreens
* Whole new User Experience
* UI will take advantage of next gen graphics
* Application layout will be updated for simpler, streamlined efficient experience [see below]
* Suite of applications themselves will be redesigned
- Messaging will be conversation based
- Calendar integrates email, allowing email responding via calendar UI
* QT becomes standard environment which applications are written on.
- Simplicity of QT
- Power of Symbian